Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A History of My Socks

Riveting topic, right? Socks? Yay. Well, in the knitting world it is!

Socks took the knitting underground by storm several years ago and the excitement continues. Knitting skyrocketed in popularity shortly before I got back into it and there are now ONE MILLION members of ravelry.com That's not all the knitters, that's just all the ones online! Socks are big news with this crowd.

As it turns out, hand knit socks are really cool and fun. They are short projects, you can try out all kinds of neat stitch patterns, they look amazing to knitters and non-knitters alike, and nothing is more comfortable than a hand-knit sock.

I like to try out every knitting challenge out there, so about three years ago I participated in a sock knitting challenge. It was a Summer of Socks, hosted by blogs in Australia, so it happened over my winter. The idea was to see who could knit the most socks in three months. I didn't mean to compete quite so hard, but I couldn't help myself, I thrive on challenge. I knit 20 pairs of socks in three months.

Well, the time has come for another sock challenge because all those socks have no gotten lost or got holes int hem. I'm down to three socks, none of them matching and it is currently winter!

For the Summer of Socks, I discovered an easy formula for toe-up socks and I just stuck with it and did 18 of my 20 pairs plain with that formula.

This new challenge is different. I have to knit the patterns from the book. I will end up with very beautiful socks, so I'm excited to give it a try.

Here is the beginning of the first one:
001

No comments:

Post a Comment